A welcome from the Director
Welcome to Chicanx/Latinx Studies (ChiLat) at Stanford!
This year is an exciting year for us. We have scheduled engaging and informative courses that provide Stanford undergraduates the opportunity to explore the complex experiences of Chicana/os and Latina/os living in America while also meeting major requirements for student majoring in ChiLat.
The list includes:
- CHILATST 109: GENTE: An incubator for transforming national narratives
- CHILATST 110: Sabias Creadoras y Activistas: Chicana/Latina Ways of Knowing
- CHILATST 173: Mexican Migration to the United States (AMSTUD 73, HISTORY 73, HISTORY 173)
- CHILATST 177A: Well-Being in Immigrant Children & Youth: A Service Learning Course (CSRE 177E, EDUC 177A, HUMBIO 29A)
- CHILATST 179F: Flor y Canto: Poetry Workshop (CSRE 179F, TAPS 179F, TAPS 279F)
- CHILATST 180E: Introduction to Chicana/o-Latina/o Studies (CSRE 180E)
- CHILATST 193B: Peer Counseling in the Chicano/Latino Community (EDUC 193B)
- CHILATST 198: Internship for Public Service (CSRE 198)
- CHILATST 200: Latin@ Literature (CSRE 200, ILAC 280, ILAC 382)
We are particularly pleased to welcome Dr. Jonathan Rosa who is new to Stanford and who will be teaching Introduction to Chicana/o-Latina/o Studies (CSRE 180E). This course draws on intersectional and interdisciplinary approaches to introduce students to the range of issues, experiences, and methodologies that form the foundation of Latina/o/x studies. The course will analyze the histories of predominant U.S. Latinx sub-groups, such as Mexicans/Chicanxs and Puerto Ricans, while also incorporating considerations of the ways in which broader populations with ties to Central America, South America, and the Caribbean play crucial roles in constituting U.S. Latinx identities.
Professor of Education
If you are a student interested in learning more about, or declaring, a major or minor in Chicanx/Latinx Studies, please reach out to the CSRE Peer Mentors and/or, CSRE’s Student Services Specialist, Jordan Gray (firstname.lastname@example.org).