Visiting Scholars Program
The Center for Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity (CCSRE) and its Research Institute support and sustain an environment of vibrant and intellectually engaging scholarship. This mission includes welcoming visiting scholars with expertise in various aspects of the study of race and ethnicity from myriad disciplinary backgrounds and from around the globe.
Visiting scholars are expected to participate in the core programs of our Research Institute including the CCSRE Faculty Seminar Series (typically held monthly on Thursdays from 12:00-1:30pm) and Faculty Research Fellows Chautauquas (typically held quarterly on Thursdays from 4-6pm). Visiting scholars are also invited to participate in CCSRE's intellectual community by attending other Center events, such as the Annual Anne and Loren Kieve Distinguished Lecture and our Faculty Research Networks.
Eligibility for visiting scholar positions at CCSRE includes the following criteria:
- Visiting scholars must be nominated by faculty affiliates of CCSRE;
- the individual must have a doctoral degree or be a recognized expert in their field;
- the individual must be an expert in a field or topic that pertains to the study of race and ethnicity in either the United States or elsewhere around the globe;
- the individual must be employed or appointed at another institution or organization;
- the individual must have a source of financial support from outside Stanford University;
- the individual should be appointed for an extended period in order to advance a collaborative research activity;
- the individual's status as Visiting Scholar with CCSRE must be approved by the school’s dean and by the Dean of Research.
- Individuals interested in becoming a visiting scholar should contact a CCSRE faculty affiliate, who must then submit an official letter of nomination.
- Nominees should provide a curriculum vitae and a cover letter that describes their goals and objectives for the time of the visiting scholar residency.
- Once these materials are received, visiting scholar applications are voted upon and approved by the CCSRE Leadership Team. These meetings will take place periodically throughout the year.
- All nomination letters, CVs, and cover letters should be addressed to Research Institute Director, Alfredo Artiles, and sent to Executive Director Daniel Murray (ddmurray [at] stanford.edu).
- Nominations should be received at least four months in advance of appointment.
A limited number of appointments are available each year and the program adheres to the Stanford University Visiting Scholar program requirements. For more information please contact the CCSRE Center Manager, Amy Potemski (apotemski [at] stanford.edu).