Frequently Asked Questions about the Ph.D. Minor

The purpose of the Ph.D. minor in CSRE  is to promote and deepen the understanding of participating Stanford graduate students in the multiple meanings of racial and ethnic diversity in the United States and abroad. The Ph.D. minor takes an interdisciplinary approach to interrogating the ways that race and ethnicity operate in the real world. It also explores the ways that traditional disciplines study individuals, cultures, institutions, and policy with respect to personal and group identity, speaking to how they are shaped by often conflicting social and biological perspectives. Its purpose is, therefore, to provide participating students with the knowledge and conceptual framework needed to continue meaningful work on these subjects.

Unique to the Ph.D. minor in CSRE is the simultaneous focus on student exposure to the models of pedagogy, community engagement, and professional development that instill the valuable practical, life-skills needed to be a productive member of the university academy of private sectors. 

General Questions

Why should I pursue a Ph.D. Minor in CSRE?

The Ph.D Minor in Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity provides Stanford graduate students in any field the opportunity to develop interdisciplinary understandings of and approaches to race studies. The Ph.D. Minor in accreditation demonstrates depth, rigor, and seriousness of engagement in the field and prepares Ph.D. students to teach in race studies during their time at Stanford and beyond. The program also brings together graduate students and faculty from across Stanford's departments, programs, and schools to think and rethink race and ethnicity in their research, teaching, and impact-focused work. 

Whatever your institutional location, the Ph.D. Minor will connect you with a community that can sustain, deepen, and disseminate your research. 

Does CCSRE offer funding opportunities for Ph.D. Minors?

The Ph.D. Minor carries no additional cost for students or departments. While the program does not offer an additional stipend for Ph.D. students, the CCSRE community offers a number of funding opportunities for which Ph.D. Minors are eligible, including the Graduate Fellowships and small grants. 

Will the Minor be reflected on my transcript?

The transcript will include a notation that reads "Ph.D. Minor in Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity." 

Will I receive a diploma?

Your doctoral degree (including your diploma) will indicate that you completed the "Ph.D. Minor in Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity." 

What is the connection between the Ph.D. Minor and MTL?

The Ph.D. Minor in Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity is sponsored by the Program in Modern Thought and Literature. The minor is administered by the Program in Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity. 

How do I sign up for your mailing list?

To be added to our list of active and potential CSRE Ph.D. Minors, please email Raquel Navarro Calara at raquelnc [at] To stay up to date with all things CCSRE, sign up for our weekly newsletter through this form.

Where can I find CCSRE's latest updates online?

Our website and mailing lists are the best ways to stay up to date. We also have social media: 

Facebook: Stanford Center for Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity

Instagram: @ccsre.stanford

Twitter: @stanfordccsre


I am considering the Minor and unsure of where to start. What's next? Whom should I talk to?

We're so glad you're here, and we will be happy to set up a time to talk about where you are, what you need, and how CCSRE can help. For general questions about the shape of the Minor and whether it might be a good fit for you, reach out to Associate Director of Academic Programs Annie Atura Bushnell at atura [at] For logistical questions concerning course registration or the declaration process, contact Student Services Specialist Byron Barahona at bdbaraho [at]

Course Requirements

Per University-wide requirements, all coursework applied to the Ph.D. Minor in CSRE must be at the 200 level or above. Units taken toward the Minor may also be counted as part of the overall Ph.D. requirement with the consent of the home department. They may not be used to meet the requirements for a Master's degree, nor may they be used to meet the requirements for a second Ph.D. Minor.

To receive the PhD Minor in CSRE, graduate students must complete a minimum of 20 units of coursework before reaching TGR status. The coursework requirements are as follows: 

  • CSRE 300: Theory and Methods for Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity. While CSRE 300 may be offered for a range of units, students completing the course toward the Minor should enroll for 5 units unless they seek and receive prior consent from CCSRE Academic Programs. 
  • CSRE 301A, B, and C (Fall, Winter, and Spring): Graduate Workshop in Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity. Students may elect to enroll in each workshop quarter for 1 to 3 units, but only 1 unit of each workshop quarter may be counted toward the Ph.D. Minor. This three-quarter workshop will build a constructive, collegial cohort through workshops focused on research, pedagogy, community engagement, and career pathways. 
  • A second approved Theory course from the list below (updated annually):
    • ANTHRO 320A Race, Ethnicity, and Language: Racial, Ethnic, and Linguistic Formations (CSRE 389A, EDUC 289A, LINGUIST 253) | Jonathan Rosa
    • CSRE 245: Understanding Racial and Ethnic Identity Development (EDUC 245) | Teresa LaFromboise
    • EDUC 337: Race, Ethnicity, and Linguistic Diversity in Classrooms: Sociocultural Theory and Practices | Alfredo Artiles
    • ENGLISH 362E: Toni Morrison: Modernism, Postmodernism, and World Literature | Ato Quayson
    • FILMEDIA 460: Decolonizing Theory | Usha Iyer
    • LAW 7016: Critical Race Theory | Ralph Banks
    • POLISCI 426: Identity Politics | Hakeem Jefferson
    • PSYCH 215: Mind, Culture, and Society | Hazel Markus and Claude Steele 
    • RELIGST 346: Constructing Race and Religion in America (CSRE 246, HISTORY 356G) | Kathryn Lum
    • SOC 350: Sociology of Race | Tomás Jiménez
    • TAPS 314: Performing Identities | Aileen Robinson 
  • Two electives in graduate-level courses (at the 200 level or above) focused on race and ethnicity, one of which may be from the student's home department. Students should consult with CSRE Academic Programs about courses they would like to count as electives that are not listed in Axess under CSRE. 

FAQs for Ph.D. Minor Requirements

Can I take courses toward the Minor for Credit/No Credit?

All courses taken toward the Minor, with the exception of the Ph.D. Minor Workshop (CSRE 301), must be taken for a Letter grade unless the course is only offered for Credit/No Credit. Exceptions must be approved by the Academic Programs team. 

How many units of the Ph.D. workshop may count towards the overall 20 unit minimum?

While CSRE 301 is typically offered for 1-3 units, only 1 unit from each workshop may be counted towards the 20 units needed to complete the minor. That is, only three workshop units total may be counted towards the 20-unit minimum. 

May I take the workshop for Credit/No Credit?

Yes, you may elect to take the workshop series (301A, B, C) for a letter or for credit. Note that all other classes toward the Minor must be taken for a letter grade. 

Do I need a faculty advisor in CSRE?

Students pursuing a Ph.D. Minor in Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity are not required to name an official faculty advisor in CSRE. However, if no one on the student's committee is a faculty affiliate of CSRE, we strongly encourage the student to make a mentorship connection with a faculty member in the program. Reach out to Annie if you are a Ph.D. Minor who is interested in finding a faculty mentor in CCSRE.  

I have already reached TGR status. Can I complete the Ph.D. Minor?

All coursework toward the Ph.D. Minor must be completed before the student reaches TGR status. If you believe your situation merits special consideration, please reach out to the Academic Programs team.

Are there restrictions on which courses I can count as electives in the Minor?


  • All courses taken toward the Ph.D minor must be graduate-level courses numbered 200 or above.
  • Coursework must be completed before the student reaches TGR status. 
  • Courses must be taken for a letter grade unless special permission has been granted by the Academic Programs team.
  • Only one of the elective courses may be housed in the Minor's home department. 
  • If a course is not listed under a CSRE cross-listing, approval for counting the course toward the minor should be sought in advance from the Academic Programs team. Only courses in which 75% or more of course content pertains explicitly to race and ethnicity will be considered appropriate to count towards the Minor. 
What if I have taken a course related to race and ethnicity but the course is not listed as an approved Theory course and is not listed or cross-listed under CSRE?

Courses not cross-listed with CSRE or listed as an approved CSRE Ph.D. Minor course require the approval of the Academic Programs Team. Please reach out with the course syllabus as early as possible to seek special approval to count a course outside of CSRE toward the Minor.

Is it possible to double-count units for the doctoral degree and Ph.D. minor?

Units taken toward the Minor may also be counted as part of the overall Ph.D. requirement with the consent of the home department. They may not be used to meet the requirements for a Master's degree, nor may they be used to meet the requirements for a second Ph.D. Minor. 

Is it possible to double-count units for the CSRE Ph.D. Minor and another Ph.D. Minor?

No, you may not double-count unit between two Minors. This is a University-wide regulation.

Is it possible to count graduate credits from another institution toward the Ph.D. minor?

No, all units for the Minor must be taken at Stanford University. Per policy (GAP 4.5.1 Doctoral Degrees, Requirements), all of the coursework for a Ph.D. minor must be completed at Stanford. 

Is it possible to earn both a Master's Degree and a Ph.D. Minor as Ph.D. student?

Yes, but units applied to the Ph.D. Minor may not also be applied to a Master's degree. Therefore, students earning a Minor and a Master's degree must map out of their courses carefully to determine whether they can meet both sets of requirements without delaying time to TGR and incurring additional tuition charges. 

Can I have two Ph.D. Minors?

The University does allow students to complete two minors, but the pertinent units must not overlap. This increase in course load may delay time to TGR and therefore may not be approved by a student's home department. 

Do I need to declare the Ph.D. Minor before taking courses toward the Minor?

We strongly recommend declaring as soon as you decide you would like to complete the Ph.D. Minor. Declaring early will help with course planning and connect you with the CSRE community. 

Can I withdraw from the Ph.D. Minor?

Yes, you can withdraw at any time with no penalty. There is no cost to declaring the Ph.D. Minor on Axess and then withdrawing from the minor. 

Do I need to inform CCSRE if my course plans change after I submit my Ph.D. Minor Declaration Form?

We understand that plans change. If you would like to swap in a course that is not cross-listed with CSRE, or if unit count or time to degree may be impacted, please submit an updated course plan to Byron for approval. 

How do I complete the process of graduating with a Minor? Do I need to turn in a form when I have completed course requirements?

In your final quarter of course requirements, or shortly thereafter, please email Byron with an updated final course list. Byron will confirm that all CCSRE Ph.D. Minor requirements have been met. You do not need to apply to graduate separately for the Minor; when you graduate, the registrar will automatically check that you completed course requirements for the Minor. 

The Declaration Process

Step 1. Review all requirements listed on this page and on the CSRE Stanford Bulletin Page

Step 2. Consider meeting with the CSRE Academic Programs team to discuss your interest and eligibility. Contact Associate Director of Academic Programs Annie Atura Bushnell at atura [at]

Step 3. When you are ready to forward with course planning, fill out the Ph.D. Minor Information form

Step 4. Meet with Student Services Specialist Byron Barahona at bdbaraho [at] to review your course plan and receive official approval. 

Step 5. Declare the Ph.D. Minor on Axess. 

Step 6. Complete coursework! 



Questions about the Ph.D. Minor in Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity should be directed to Annie Atura Bushnell at atura [at] and Byron Barahona at bdbaraho [at]