For the 2017-2018 academic year, the Research Institute of Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity (RICSRE) will offer three fellowship positions.
- A stipend of approximately $27,000
- TGR fees and 50% of health coverage for the academic year (fall, winter, and spring quarters)
- Shared office space
All currently enrolled Stanford Ph.D. candidates, in any discipline, are invited to apply. Students can apply to both the RICSRE Dissertation Fellowship and CSRE Graduate Teaching Fellowship, but will receive an offer for only one fellowship if selected. Preference will be given to students who are not guaranteed departmental funding for the next academic year.
- Reach TGR status by the start of fall quarter, 2017-2018
- Be continuously enrolled for the duration of their fellowship
- Be on campus during fall, winter, and spring quarters of the fellowship year
- Have completed all requirements for the Ph.D. other than the dissertation
- Have an approved dissertation proposal
- Conduct dissertation research that addresses issues of race, ethnicity, and inequality
- Have a strong likelihood of completing the degree by the end of the fellowship
- No other employment, assistantship, or fellowship (unless specifically intended for travel or research expense) may be held concurrently. Exceptions to this restriction must be approved by CCSRE.
- GDFs are required to attend the Center’s monthly Faculty Seminar Series, monthly Graduate Fellows Workshops, and quarterly Faculty Fellows Chautauquas
- GDFs must be in residence at CCSRE during the fellowship year
- GDFs must submit a brief report (no more than one page) at the end of their fellowship
To apply, please fill out the online dissertation fellowship application form
Required application materials
- A 2 page curriculum vitae
- A 3-5 page research statement (including all notes and references). The statement should include:
- A summary of your dissertation research, including its contribution to your field
- A discussion of how your research contributes to the study of race, ethnicity, and inequality
- A description of how your research relates to the aims of CCSRE and how you will benefit from participating in the Center’s interdisciplinary fellowship program
- Your current transcript (from Axess)
- A timetable for the completion of your degree
- A brief, research-related writing sample from your existing work (e.g., conference paper, published or in progress journal article or book chapter, excerpt from dissertation chapter, paper from a graduate course).
- Two letters of recommendation from Stanford faculty to be submitted no later than 5pm on Thursday, February 16, 2017. Letters should evaluate the quality of the research project and what is needed for its successful and timely completion. One must be from the principal dissertation advisor. Confidential letters of recommendation should be sent via e-mail to Heidi López at email@example.com. The letters be signed, on the program's letterhead, and be directly e-mailed by the advisor.
Application Deadline: Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 5pm
Applicants will be notified by mid-April
For more information, please contact:
Heidi M. López, Finance and Administrative Associate
firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 725-9141